This is weird. I usually like to see the brighter side in a situation and it’s always hard at first. This is scary right now, no matter which way you come at it. We all have someone we care about when we hear the news say the phrases “at risk population”, “most susceptible”, and “high-risk”, etc. All we can do is our best to beat it.
I like to stay informed so I listen to a couple podcasts to stay up to date. I like NPR News Now podcasts because they release several 5 minute episodes throughout the day. I try to listen to NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt podcast and The Global News Podcast from BBC. These are usually 30 minutes in length. I like to listen to the shorter podcasts, aside from the usual life interruptions, because I feel that they are short enough to give us just the facts.
I’ve learned a lot about global economy, our US and other country’s health systems and how they are dealing with the pandemic. This time in all of our lives is so frustrating because this mysterious virus that is so super contagious instills anxiety and distrust in a population. On the other hand, people are trying harder at connecting (outside of social media). I heard the term “distance aloha” and that made me happy that people are saying “hello” louder and waving harder in order to make sure a connection of some sort of human contact was made.
We are finding new fun ways to be inside and have fun. It’s usually difficult to find something to do that doesn’t involve sitting, since we have a 580 square foot apartment with no yard, but we have a pretty large lanai – luckily!
12 Fun Activities to Do at Home
Here’s a list of non-sitting fun things to do during stay-in orders:
- Balloon Tennis – normal rackets, but use a balloon instead of a ball
- Just Dance 2016 and 2017 for Xbox Kinect – our local GameStop was offering killer deals on games so we ordered 4 for $20 and in-store pickup (you wait outside and they bring your games to the door)
- Workout / Stretch – Beachbody Fitness site is offering free videos
- Run – outside along the eerie empty streets on the sidewalks – avoid parks if they’re closed in your area
- Clean and organize your living space
- Spring cleaning – get rid of things you don’t use
- Redecorate / Rearrange your rooms
- Cook / Bake
- Walk the dog – if you don’t have one, shelters are begging people to foster at this time
- Brush dog or cat – this always turns into a wrestling match
- Gardening – tend those spring herb gardens
- Give blood! Blood drives all over have had to be cancelled due to the isolate orders so their normal way to get inventory has been slashed! Our local Blood Donation center has a COVID19 page that assures the donors that they are doing everything to prevent the spread of the virus and it is still SAFE to donate
8 Fun Things to Do While Sitting
Here’s a list of things we’ve done to occupy ourselves that includes sitting:
- Mind-numbing video games
- Art – put those art supplies to use and get creative
- Journal – helps to stimulate our brain and keep us sane
- Read actual books!
- Text or call the people you care about to let them know you’re thinking of them and want them to stay safe – isolation is hard for people
- Movies/ TV / Catch up on your DVR – Netflix Ozark season 3 just came out… and TIGER KING – wtf?
- Puzzles or board games – just remember to sit up straight and stretch so your back doesn’t get too sore…
- Listen to music – make a playlist and sing along
“Quarantunes” – A Quarantine Music Playlist
I don’t mean to offend anyone, but in order to cope with difficult emotional anxiety-inciting situations, I have to find the humor so I can laugh through the fear. I have made a compilation of songs that are my “Quarantunes” – I listened to this list while doing laundry and going through my closet.
- Toxic – Britney Spears
- Radioactive – Imagine Dragons
- Down With the Sickness – Disturbed
- Stayin’ Alive – Bee Gees
- The Kids Aren’t Alright – The Offspring
- Toxic – Kehlani
- Harder To Breathe – Maroon 5
- Antidote – Travis Scott
- Fever – Peggy Lee
- Sick (feat. DaBaby) – Rich The Kid
- I Feel So – Box Car Racer
- Bad – Michael Jackson
- Heartbeat Song – Kelly Clarkson
- Super Trooper – ABBA
- You’re No Good – Linda Ronstadt
- All By Myself – Celine Dion
- Unwell – Matchbox Twenty
- In the Air Tonight – Phil Collins
- Better Days – Goo Goo Dolls
- Faith – George Michael
- It’s the End of the World As We Know It – R.E.M.
- I’m Still Standing – Elton John
- Love Will Keep Us Alive – Eagles
- I Want to Break Free – Queen
- I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
- Survivor – Destiny’s Child
- I Can’t Get Enough – Benny Blanco
- Ahora Dice – Chris Jeday
- Nada (feat. Dalex) – Cazzu
- No Me Conoce (Remix) – Jhay Cortez, J Blavin
- Don’t Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days) – Monica
- Parents Just Don’t Understand – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
- Don’t Stand So Close to Me – The Police
- Don’t You (Forget About Me) – Simple Minds
- Too Much Time On My Hands – Styx
- Dancing With Myself – Billy Idol
- U Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
- I Think We’re Alone Now – Tiffany
- Toxicity – System Of A Down
- Antisocial – Ed Sheeran & Travis Scott
- Isolate – Sub Urban
- No Air – Jordan Sparks & Chris Brown
- Take My Breath Away (Love Theme from “Top Gun”) – Berlin
- Burnin’ Up – Jonas Brothers
- Every Breath You Take – The Police
- Hands To Myself – Selena Gomez
- I Feel It Coming (feat. Daft Punk) – The Weekend
How are you coping?
Are there any other activities you have found to keep busy or just have fun?